IFB's 'View from the Road' blog sets the record straight on Covered Farm Vehicle exemption

If your truck doesn't meet all qualifications for the CFV, you can't use any of the exemptions.

Illinois Farm Bureau Assistant Director of Transportation and Local Government Kirby Wagner continues to keep farmers up to date on transportation issues with answers on the often confusing topic of CFV exemptions. (Photo by Catrina Rawson)

By Kirby Wagner

Confusion is common when it comes to farmer exemptions from various trucking laws. Specifically, the Covered Farm Vehicle (CFV) exemption is one we get a lot of questions about. The next several posts in my “View from the Road” blog will cover this important exemption.

Qualifying as a CFV offers farmers exemptions from several parts of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. It is up to the operator to know which exemption they are operating under and how they qualify.

Before I can discuss the exemptions, I need to explain whether a truck qualifies as a CFV. If your truck doesn’t meet all the qualifications, you can’t use any of the exemptions.

A CFV is a truck that is:

1. Operated by a farmer, farmer’s family member or employee of a farmer.

2. Hauling only for the farm.

3. Not hauling for hire.

4. Hauling within the specified distance range from the farm. If you’re hauling inside Illinois, there is no distance limit. Outside the state, however, trucks heavier than 26,001 pounds can’t be more than 150 air miles from the farm.

5. Registered with a “farm” license plate.

6. Not required to be placarded for carrying hazardous materials.

Qualifying as a CFV allow exemptions from:

1. The CDL.

2. Drug and alcohol screening.

3. The medical card.

4. Hours of service rules.

5. Inspection repair and maintenance.

Future blog entries will discuss some of the exemptions themselves – the CDL, medical card and inspection rules – in more detail. Stay tuned for those.

In the meantime, I’ll leave you with this: It’s easy to think that an exemption from the CDL means anyone with a driver’s license can operate a semi. However, that’s not the case. The correct class of driver’s license is still needed.  

Be sure to check back next month for more explanation of the CFV.

Have a trucking or transportation-related question or questions? If so, email us at ViewFromTheRoad@ilfb.org, and we’ll do our best to answer each one.

Content for this story was provided by FarmWeekNow.com.